This quick and easy homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe is ready in 10 minutes and is so delicious it will have you saying no more to store-bought! I try to avoid using bottled marinades as they contain preservatives, fillers along with unnecessary sugars. This homemade teriyaki recipe is a much healthier option.
What is teriyaki sauce?
The word teriyaki combines two Japanese words: teri, refers to the aesthetic gloss, and yaki, refers to the method of grilling. Teriyaki is not the sauce but essentially a cooking style. Although, due to teriyaki sauce’s popularity around the world, many generally associate teriyaki with the shining glazed sauce added to the natural pairing of grilled meats and vegetables.
With its amber luster and salty-sweet flavor, Teriyaki is synonymous with Japanese cuisine. Its primary ingredients are generally made from pantry staples including soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, honey and mirin.
This easy homemade teriyaki sauce recipe is versatile and can be served with chicken, beef, seafood, tofu even salads, noodles and stirfries. Its umami nuances goes well with just about everything!
Ingredients for Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 large clove of garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup sake or chinese rice wine
- ¼ mirin
- Himalayan sea salt and ground pepper to taste
How to Make Teriyaki Sauce
1. Whisk together tamari, sesame oil, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, ginger, sake and mirin together in a bowl.
2. Enjoy your robust flavored teriyaki sauce with your selected dish of choice by mixing through the sauce prior to cooking or simple drizzle over after.
How long does homemade teriyaki sauce last?
Homemade teriyaki sauce should be refrigerated in a sealed glass container and used within a few days. The bold flavors will heighten the next day.