This homemade taco recipe is the perfect weeknight meal or a great idea to feed your guests at a party.
Try this healthy taco seasoning made with simple yet flavorful ingredients. Packed with healthy spices and herbs such as garlic, onion, cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper for that extra dash of heat!
There is no need to buy store bought taco seasoning packs full of nasty preservatives. This easy recipe has staple pantry ingredients and is super convenient.
While this may not be an authentic taco recipe from Mexico and is more of the commercialized version of a taco, it is still a mouthwatering taco recipe that many have come to love.
In todays world, there is an abundance of taco toppings to choose from. Make it your own! Every ingredient from tomatoes, black beans, shredded cheese and plethora of sauces, it’s sort of an “everything goes” situation.
This recipe uses lean beef as it’s a less fatty option and you can skip the step of draining the excess fat. Because you want crispy taco shells NOT soggy taco shells or burritos!
You can make this a nutritional taco recipe with extra vegetables. Or make this a vegetarian taco recipe and replace beef with chickpeas. Its truly incredible how versatile a taco is.
Tacos are a non-fuss solution to those busy weeknights. Tacos are a quick meal to whip up. This recipe for homemade taco seasoning is so simple you can make in bulk and have leftovers for lunch and dinner.
PREPARATION 10 minutes COOK 10 minutes MAKES 4
Ingredients for Homemade Beef Taco Seasoning
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef mince
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oilive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup / 65ml water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (adjust spiciness to taste, can skip)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for taco toppings
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Avocado, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Pickled onions
- ½ red onion, chopped
- Sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Taco sauce of choice: hot sauce, chilli sauce, salsa sauce
Taco serving options
- Corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Hard taco shells, warmed or
- Tortilla chips
How to make Homemade Beef Tacos from scratch
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and gently cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until the onions are tender. Remove lid and begin stirring occasionally for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the beef and break apart with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and often for 6 minutes until the meat begins to brown.
- In a measuring cup of water, combine tomato paste and stir to combine. Add mixture into skillet.
- Cook for an additional 3 minutes or until meet is cooked through. You want some of the liquid to have evaporated but still want the beef to have a juicy sauce BUT not watery.
- Warm the taco shells or tortillas according to their package directions.
- Serve tacos hot and lay out toppings and sauces of choice.
- Let everyone have fun assembling their own taco fillings to their taste.
This recipe is a family favorite and I have also been inspired by; The Wholesome Dish, How Sweet Eats, Damn Delicious and Recipe Tin Eats.