This multi-colored salad is a light but surprisingly filling meal when you mix in together the roasted vegetables.
Lemon zest, garlic sauce and mint served over the top of beautifully roasted vegetables make this vegetarian salad a tangy treat.
An added bonus to this light-hearty meal is the lentils in this recipe contribute to the protein portion of this dish.
PREPARATION 25 minutes COOK 30 minutes SERVES 4
Ingredients for Roast Vegetable Salad
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) frozen beans
- 2 cups (400g) French-style (puy) lentils, rinsed and drained
- Gated zest of 1 lemon
- The juice of 1 zest lemon
- 300g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red Spanish onion, medium sliced wedges
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 zucchinis, cut on the diagonal
- Garlic yogurt dressing (see LINK) to serve
- Handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped to serve
Recipe for Roast Vegetable Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 F° (200 C°) and line baking tray with baking paper
- In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, carrot and onion with extra virgin olive oil.
- In prepared baking tray, add vegetables. Sprinkle over sumac and paprika and toss well to coat. Add extra virgin olive oil if needed.
- Roast for 15 minutes, turning once. Then roast for an additional 5-10 minutes until golden.
- In a medium pot of boiling water, blanch the broad beans for 2 minutes or until tender.
- In a colander, remove and drain broad beans. Then transfer beans to a bowl of iced water. Once cooled, drain again, then peel and set aside.
- In another boiling pot of water add lentils. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- In a sieve, drain lentils and then mix in gently the lemon juice and zest.
- Heat a chargrill pan over high heat adding a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Add zucchini then cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Once ingredients have been cooled, in a large bowl; toss gently to combine the broad beans, lentils, roast vegetables and grilled zucchini.
- When serving, drizzle the garlic yogurt dressing and add mint, season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe was adapted from the cookbook “The CSIRO total wellbeing diet recipes on a budget“. You can find many more healthy and nutritious recipes in this successful cookbook below: